Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The healing power of music

Stupid flu. I had to go home early from school today, cancel my lessons and the worst part: Larry had to sell our Decemberists tickets because I'm too sick to go. We had tickets for tonight and tomorrow. I better get well by tomorrow because I am GOING to that show!

The only bright spot in this cloud of illness is my new harmonica. I'm teaching the kidlets about free-reed aerophones and it turns out the harmonica is a prime example (along with the accordion, which is too cost-prohibitive for casual experimentation), so I thought I'd give it a try. So far I've only succeeding in scaring the cats, but it's pretty awesome. Last night I figured out how to play "When The Saints Go Marching In," "Happy Birthday," and "Hey Jude," although Larry pretended he couldn't understand what I was playing on that last one. For 4 bucks it's a pretty good little instrument, and an excellent way to annoy your family/housemates/pets. Then again, at that price you can just buy one for everyone in the house and play together. I just had a vision of Zach and Nigel wearing conductor's caps, overalls and little steel-toed boots, playing the harmonica down by the train tracks. Maybe it's the cold medicine...but until that actually happens, here's a different musical cat to entertain you.




And one more classic, because I'm sick and Bugs Bunny always makes me feel better!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Hope you're feeling better and enjoyed the concert! It was so nice to talk to you at long last...by the way, did I ever tell you that we own an accordion? (along with our 6 guitars, 2 mandolins, 2 violins, banjo, djembe and a didgeridoo!) You can try it out next time you're here!
Love ya, Stephanie