Thursday, March 30, 2006

Something must be done...

So I like to do the NYT crossword puzzle sometimes before I go to bed. It relaxes me. Don't judge, people! But can I relax tonight? NOOOO...because there it is, in #18 across, mocking me: five-letter word, clue is "Breezy 'Of course!'" The first three letters are "n...a...t..." and cut to visual of me shrieking in abject horror. That's right, "natch" has now made it into the freaking New York Times crossword puzzle. It's like they heard my complaint and WANT to keep using it. Next thing you know William Safire's going to be profiling it in the Sunday magazine's "On Language" column. My only consolation is that if it's become this mainstream, it has to die soon...right? I'm going to try to go to sleep now, but first I'll have to read something else to erase this memory from my brain and calm my frayed nerves. NATCH.

No comments: