Monday, May 22, 2006

Sports Night(s)

Last night we went to the Storm season opener against the LA Sparks. It was pretty much the perfect game: we won 90-67 and Lisa Leslie fouled out in the fourth quarter. Brilliant! The only downer was the guy sitting behind us, who I think is trying to outdo me as the Storm super fan. He was yelling so loud that I could barely hear myself, and when Doppler the mascot was throwing t-shirts into the crowd, Larry and I both had to duck as he reached into the row IN FRONT of us to grab at a shirt. I know they're free, but come on--he was duking it out with a couple of kids and their grandma!

Another highlight of the game is always the Storm dancers. Instead of girls in skimpy cheerleader outfits, the Storm has two kids' dance squads, one with teenagers and one with younger kids. In the young group, there is the cutest, tiniest little girl--she can't be more than 5 or 6--with hair down to her waist and some major attitude. She can do all the dance moves as well as anyone else, and of course she's a crowd favorite. This season she has a partner, another little girl who is just a hair taller. They're so cute when they dance together! The rest of the kids are great too--they just have so much fun out there that they always make me smile.

Tonight we went to the Mariners game against Baltimore, which was another great game--we won 8-6, with Richie Sexson hitting a grand slam in the fifth inning. Yuniesky Betancourt (my favorite player) got a run right before that, thanks to his super speedy running skills. And his hitting has really improved lately, so now all those people who mocked me for liking him so much are starting to like him too. It cracks me up that I'm such a sports fan these days, but what can I say? I'm a convert. I even listen to M's games on AM radio now. But as my friend Heidi says, at least I don't listen to sports radio talk shows...yet...

No comments: