Monday, June 19, 2006

More floor tom!

This past weekend was the Fremont Fair, an annual solstice celebration/fundraiser for Fremont Public Association/excuse for people to paint their bodies and ride their bikes naked (in the solstice parade). We got our fill of naked bicyclists last year, so we skipped the parade and just went yesterday to see some bands we like--the main one being Math & Physics Club who I love, love, LOVE. Except. Their drummer is a wee bit of a diva. They were already starting a few minutes late, which wouldn't be a big deal, but then the drummer showed up (late) and made us wait even longer. Apparently, even though his bass drum and vocals were each miked, he really really needed another mic for...his floor tom. His vocal mic was already turned on, so the whole crowd heard him going on about how so many of their songs used the floor tom and it was vital to the group's sound. Buddy. It's a FLOOR TOM. I think we would survive without it! I know I'm not a drummer, so maybe it truly is a vital part of the sound. Still, it seemed a little ridiculous--you're at an outdoor festival performance, with someone else's PA system, and with 45 minutes to play. I don't think that would be my top priority. But moving right along...

Once they finally started, the set was great--the lead singer could use a dose of self-confidence (he seemed a little shy even though his voice is why I love them so much), but they were clearly having a lot of fun onstage and I just love all of their songs. The bassist in particular was super fun to watch. They all seemed like a down-to-earth bunch, even the drummer once he got started playing. It was my first time seeing them live after listening to their EPs many, many times, and I'm happy to say I love them as much as ever, maybe even a little more.

But who knows--it could've been a whole different story if that floor tom hadn't been miked...

No comments: