Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sunshine on my shoulders...

It has been the most crazy, jam-packed yet completely fun weekend! Yesterday we dragged ourselves out of bed and down to Kell's at 8 am (wouldn't have been so bad if we weren't up till 1:30) to watch the England/Portugal match. I have not historically been a soccer fan--in fact it's only since meeting Larry that I really got into any kind of sport--but we've been watching a lot of the World Cup and I'm starting to get into it. Even so, I was definitely pleased to see that the bar was serving coffee and breakfast for the match! I had to work at 10:30 so missed the overtime, which was probably for the best since England lost.

Last night we saw Neko Case at the Moore Theater. She has an AMAZING voice. You know how a lot of times you go to a live show and they're not as good as they sound on the album because there's no production to help them out? Her voice sounded almost exactly like her albums but even better! She's from Tacoma, so I think she was playing a really long set for her hometown crowd, but she sang for nearly 2 hours and I was mesmerized the entire time. She has such a captivating sound, and I loved how the choice of instruments (pedal steel guitar, dobro, banjo, etc.)for each song perfectly complemented the mood and her voice. If you have the chance to see her don't miss out.

Today we went to the Mariners game against Colorado, which lasted 11 innings and nearly 4 hours. Even though we lost it was a good game. Yuniesky had some great plays--his hitting is still uneven but he makes up for it with his defense. (Listen to me acting like I actually know what I'm talking about!) After the game we went shopping downtown and I wound up buying 2 new pairs of shoes!!! Diesel sneakers are my absolute favorite(they're soooo comfortable), and I haven't bought a new pair in a few years, so I guess I was due for it. At least they were both on sale. One pair is blue suede with lavender suede stripes, and the other pair is freaking amazing--red-orange and yellow suede slipons with this great Asian floral pattern mixed in. I'll have to post a picture--can you tell I'm excited??? Larry got 2 pairs too--one of Diesel sneakers (olive green with orange stripes and brown laces--yum!) and these great brown suede Adidas with orange soles. We came home nearly delirious with happiness about our new shoes (okay, by "we" I mean me) and had a great dinner of roast chicken from the grocery store with our new favorite tomato salad (recipe below). All in all, it's been a pretty perfect weekend.

Judy's summer tomatoes (from It's About Time by Michael Schlow), adapted by us

1 large cucumber, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped into medium-size chunks
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
6-8 basil leaves, torn up
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO!)
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all in a big bowl and watch it disappear!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»